Download Free Apps & Games @ PHONEKY.com

brokenwings - Topics
Create Your Own App Store

* brokenwings > Topics

Subject: my homework
Replies: 2 Views: 859

emo4eva 10.03.14 - 02:54pm
The Names England and English.
The Celts called their Germanic conquerors Saxons indiscriminately, probably because
they had had their first contact with the Germanic peoples through the Saxon raids on the
coast.
Early Latin writers, following Celtic usage, generally call the Germanic
inhabitants of England Saxones and the land Saxonia. But soon the terms Angli and
Anglia occur beside Saxones and refer not to the Angles individually but to the West
Germanic tribes generally. thelbert, king of Kent, is styled rex Anglorum by Pope
Gregory in 601, and a century later Bede called his history the Historia Ecclesiastica
Gentis Anglorum. In time Angli and Anglia become the usual terms in Latin texts. From
the beginning, however, writers in the vernacular never call their language anything but
Englisc (English). The word is derived from the name of the Angles (OE Engle) but is
used without distinction for the language of all the invading tribes. In like manner the
land and its people are early called Angelcynn (Angle-kin or race of the Angles), and this
is the common name until after the Danish period. From about the year 1000 Englaland
(land of the Angles) begins to take its place. The name English is thus older than the
name England.
It is not easy to say why England should have taken its name from the
Angles. Possibly a desire to avoid confusion with the Saxons who remained on the
continent and the early supremacy of the Anglian kingdoms were the predominant factors
in determining usage. *

meribro 10.03.14 - 02:58pm
Really good. I'm pretty sire you got it all right, at least from what I know (not much). Lol.

emo4eva 10.03.14 - 03:04pm
just find the answer in this essay :( inside the essay :( awwww *

* brokenwings Forum

Search:
topics replies

* brokenwings

topTop
groupsGroups
mainProdigits

Custom Search